Replace "http://www.thestagemommydiaries.com"/>

Sunday 16 November 2014

My Favourite Macaron



Not all macarons are created equal. That is why I always want mine from the best, Pierre Herme, the current undisputed master of macarons.
There is something magical about them. The medley of texture is like wonderful music playing in my mouth. My first taste of a macaron was at the Laduree salon in Harrods. From that very first bite, I developed a growing obsession. I thought Laduree was the be all and end all of all things macarons. I was wrong, there were many out there. I ventured and from then on I have been on a quest to find the best macaron.
A macaron is made with egg whites, sugar and almond flour. Early macarons were just made of one cookie but Laduree introduced the two cookie macaron with ganache or filling between them. This is the macaron that we know and love today.
Aside from Laduree and Pierre Herme, I have tried Angelina’s in Paris, PAUL in London, TWG in Singapore, Bouchon in New York, Pierre Marcolini, Marks and Spencer’s and more recently, from Joel Robuchon's 2 Michelin star restaurant in London. Any macaron can give me my macaron fix but only Pierre Herme macarons can fully satisfy my craving.




Pierre Herme macaron. Perfect!

Enjoying Pierre Herme in Paris, Summer 2014


For me, a perfect macaron starts with a perfectly shaped smooth dome with perfectly even ruffled edges, also known as feet.  When you bite into it, there is a little bit of crunch but should not crumble and not chewy either. The filling should not be too little or too much. Lastly, it should not be too sweet.  I have to say, Pierre Herme macarons have all that, the perfect balance of texture and taste. 


 And while I am still on this quest,  I am more than happy to call Pierre Herme my favourite for now.

No comments: